Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Post #5

Bishop resigns unexpectedly from southern Ontario diocese, says he lacks stamina

By The Canadian Press
ST. CATHARINES, Ont. - The Roman Catholic bishop of a southern Ontario diocese has unexpectedly resigned his post.

Bishop James Wingle says in a letter to the Diocese of St. Catharines that the Pope has accepted his resignation, effective Wednesday.

Wingle, 63, writes that he can no longer "maintain the necessary stamina to fulfil properly my duties."

No further explanation is given for his resignation.

In his letter, posted on the diocese's website, Wingle also writes, "if my shortcomings and limitations have caused any disappointment I ask for God's mercy and your understanding."

Wingle was installed as the diocese's bishop in January 2002.

Eds note: In his letter, Wingle said,  "As I take a sabbatical centered on prayer and personal renewal, I count on your prayer, not only for myself but also for the continued growth and development of the Diocese of St. Catharines that I love so much."  'Personal renewal' is coincidentially the same phrase used by Bishop Raymond Lahey when he resigned from the Diocese of Antigonish.

No comments: